Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Library spaces, big and small

Public libraries, whether they are large or small, are the living rooms of the community.  Grandparents read the newspaper, teens gather to finish a school project, young children curl up on a parent’s lap to read a favorite book.  Libraries can be places in which the lonely might find solace in the company of others; they can also be an islands of peace and inspiration in the choppy seas of daily life.

In the years I spent in public library administration, my morning routine was to walk through the library and try to imagine myself coming through the doors for the first time.  Did I feel welcomed?  Did the displays invite me to pick up a book I might otherwise have missed?  Was it easy to find help when I needed it? 

My goal now is to take time to think more about the effect of library spaces on the people whom they serve.  On this journey, I'm planning to take a tour of public libraries in rural New England, most notably in my own state of Vermont.  My hope is that I can pass on some of the best ideas to inspire those hard-working librarians who may not have had a free moment in which to step back and think about some of their most pressing needs.  I cannot design space - that is the role of the architect.  But I can help librarians define the things that will help them create the library space they want and need for their customers.

I hope that you'll enjoy following me on my voyage through library space!

No comments:

Post a Comment